Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Drinking Coffee in "The Bear Hotel."

Devizes is a pretty little market town in the middle of Wiltshire.  It boasts a number of beautiful buildings including this one, "The Bear Hotel" where I frequently meet friends for coffee.  Of late all the discussion turns to my preparations for my visit to Timmerlah and Braunschweig, where hopefully I will speak so much German I will come home unable to speak English.  I wish!!  Today's conversation turned to money and "what clothes are you taking."  www.thebearhotel.net/history 

This old hotel was a Coaching Inn on the London to Bath Road and has connections with Thomas Lawrence, a painter who lived here with his family in the 18th century.  He was a child prodigy and in 1820 became President of the Royal Academy.  Jane Austen also stayed here overnight on her visits to Bath from Kent and Hampshire, together with other famous people who needed to break their journey travelling to and from London.

No comments:

Post a Comment