Powered By Blogger

Thursday 31 March 2011

Ashes and Diamonds, Dresden and Coventry.

Die Frauenkirche, Dresden

Coventry Cathderal
 This morning I finished my story about the bus journey from Devizes to Avebury and will post it off to the the competition organisers for approval.  I hope to receive my  prize money soon, a useful addition to the cash I need for my visit to Timmerlah this year.  I will also received a copy of the book when it is published.

A new project begins today, my Power Point Presentation for the U3A about Coventry and Dresden, twinned cities with a tragic history.  Both Cathedrals were completely destroyed during the last war, both are now rebuilt and from the ashes have arisen two diamonds.  I shall visit Dresden for a few days this June and hopefully attend some concerts in the beautifully restored Baroque Church.  The mighty Cross that adorns the dome was made by craftsmen in Britain and was given as a gift to Dresden, an offering of goodwill and reconciliation.  I will not be able to stop crying when I visit this church.

1 comment:

  1. You know that i stayed in Dresden New Year 2009/2010 for a few days, Vicki. Unfortunately die Frauenkirche was closed for the public then, because the concerts were on TV. Anyway, I was very much impressed by Dresden and never felt so much how close the war still is. You shouldn't miss Dresden during your stay in Germany, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete