Powered By Blogger

Monday 28 March 2011

"This Soiled World" words from "Dona Nobis Pacem" by Ralf Vaughan Williams.

Now I must respect Ralf Vaughan Williams.   Last night "Marlborough College Choral Society" gave its annual spring concert and words fail me!!  It was wonderful!  The singing, the soloists, the timpani, the full orchestra, in fact everything was wonderful, I did not want the last bar of music to finish.   
The "Dona Nobis Pacem" is not an easy to sing.  It is written to the words of Walt Whitman's poems, et al and is about the sadness of war, death, destruction and every mother's son.  It has three words that leave themselves indelibally marked upon your mind,  "This Soiled World."  Singing this work was an emotional experience, not my usual love affair.   It was a journey through sadness, loss and man's inhumanity to man.   My mind is broadened.
The videoclip shows the orchestra tuning up and the choir settling into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment