Powered By Blogger

Saturday 23 April 2011

The St John Passion by Mr JS Bach!



Der Domplatz, the audience leaving after the concert.

The performance of the St John Passion was wonderful, yes die Johannes-Passion, I had misread the programme and thought I was going to hear die  Matthaeus-Passion!  My German can be dodgy but I do know the difference between Johannes und Matthaeus.  In future I will include some obvious German words, you may as well learn some Deutsch as I tell my German tales.

A young soprano soloist sang like an Angel with a bell like voice that resonated around the building.   I have sung this work on several occasions but always in Englisch.  It was good to follow the words in Deutsch from my programme.  Compound nouns are very useful, if you know one part of a word it is easy to take a guess at its meaning.  It was hot yesterday and we all sat in the refreshingness of a cool Cathedral.

I took no photos inside, it was not appropriate, although one elderly gentleman did snap away.  After the performance of a Passion the audience does not applaud, we all sat in the most amazing silence for several minutes after the final note,  a very moving experience.

Today I will be lazy, although I must cycle to Weststadt and buy some cheese, Brot  und Salat for the weekend.  This will be my first outing on "Wicki" my trusty bike. The shops do not open here on Sundays and I am not sure about Ostermontag (compound noun, easy to work out.)  I hope you all enjoy reading der Blog, (Deutsch for Blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment