Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Sunday at St. Magnikirche, Monday Elsewhere.


The St. Magniviertal.

Monday was busy, up early and off to Gliesmaroder to the two English groups to chat away all morning.  (Talking is my favourite hobby.)  It is very hot here, I do hope we're not in for a long hot summer like last year when I was pinned to my sunbed under the trees for days on end.   It was a pleasant place to be pinned but not easy for me to lie still, I like to be up, out and about!

The photos are from Sunday's visit to St. Magni, founded around 1190 and a church I visited last year.  I am much taken with the "Triumphkreuz"  a modern sculpture of 1963 with a ring of bronze angels surrounding the crucifixion.

Ring of Angels.
It has a great deal of energy and life about it and springs out at you as it hangs above the high altar.  I will never forget it and I sat in the cool tranquilty of the church for a good hour pondering the meaning of life!  

If you click on these photos they will enlarge.


Font and Canopy.
The church also contains a wonderful font, with hanging canopy and surrounded by magnificent wrought iron gates.   It stands in a Chapel donated in 1434,  with a bronze font cast in 1441.  The wooden canopy was added in 1618.  The nave and windows were damaged in the war and were, like all the churches in Braunschweig rebuilt from the 1950's onwards.

Today is Tuesday and not a lot will be happening.  I will nurse my newly arrived cold and spend a quiet day catching up on emails and all the other things I have to do.  I'm preparing two talks for the Devizes U3A, one about six months in Brunswick and the other about Dresden and Coventry, Twinned Cities at Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment