Powered By Blogger

Thursday 19 May 2011

Waiting for the Heating Man!

Timmerlah Church
This morning I visited the church again, this time to search for a gravestone with the family name I am helping to research for a gentleman in Florence, Oregon.   No luck  I'm afraid, although  I did speak to two elderly ladies who suggested I ask the priest for information.  He lives next to the church in a little half-timbered house and I will visit him tomorrow.  I can't decide on an age for the church, it looks fairly modern, the brickwork is newly plastered and repainted, which could hide its history but the windows look modernish. 
Brick and Stonework.
The photo left show what appears to be the remains of a stone wall against the brickwork.  Perhaps the church was damaged in the war and has since been rebuilt.  The plaque commemorates the men of Timmerlah who fell in the 1914-1918 war.  The churchyard is in the background of this photo.  Last year there was a comfortable seat there on which to ponder, but it has now disappeared.  It was a lovely place to sit and read, really cool in last year's heatwave.  We have a touch of one this weekend, it will be 25c on Sunday for my bike ride, that's if I go!

Below is the church clock, with its square dial of blue and red with golden hands and Roman numerals.

I'm hanging about today because at 15.30 the heating repair man will visit to turn off a radiator in my flat.  I turned it on on Tuesday when it was cold and to dry my washing and I haven't been able to turn it off since.   It was really warm up here yesterday and with a mini heatwave at the weekend it must go off! 
The Onion Tower and Clock.


No comments:

Post a Comment