Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Closely Observed "Bauhaus" Shopping Bags.

My posh shopping bag.
Today was quiet, it had to be because on Monday I was out all day, popped home at 4pm for a cuppa and then went out again at 6.30pm to meet friends for a beer and curry.   I have built in some  "rest days," days when I can recover from my high life of eating, drinking and speaking German!   

I took a trip today on the tram to Stoeckheim, one of Braunschweig's  newly developed satilite towns.   There I found "Bauhaus," a DIY store, rather like focus, which sells these wonderful shopping bags.   I'd seen various ladies about town carrying them, and my friend Ursula took hers on our picnic last Saturday.  Anyway I thought, "I must have one of those," and today purchased a smart red version with chunky, tubular handles, a zipped cover and two inner pockets for keys, purse and other bits and pieces.   It is very light in weight, and will pack easily into my suitcase when I return on October 7th.

"Bauhaus" was the name of a German school of art and crafts, famous for its approach to design and architecture.  Walter Gropius established three schools in 1919 in  Weimar, Berlin and Dessau which ran until 1933,  when they closed under pressure from the Nazi Regime.  The school was similar to the arts and crafts movement in Britain, which was established by William Morris with the aim of uniting form and function.   The form of my shopping bag is simple and it will function well.  Wikipedia has more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment