Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 26 July 2011

An Organ Recital in the Kaiser Dom, Koenigslutter.

Once again last night, I enjoyed an evening with Johann Sebastian Bach, my favourite man.  The concert was entitled, "Contrasts" and consisted of works by Bach, Cesar Franck, Jean Gillou and Schubert.  I tend to be rather conservative in my choice of music, but "Sagas 1 & 2 by Gillou, a modern French composer were an amazing powerhouse of sound.  Saga 1 sounded, with my eyes closed, like an industrial landscape charging up in the early morning.  I could hear the pounding of the machinery, the shrill whistles blowing, engines starting and faltering and the clank and grinding of metal on metal.  When the experience ended (it was pure evocative sound not music) there was a almost audible gasp from the audience.  I have never heard anything like it before. I must open my eyes to modern music and not be so blind.  www.kaiserdom-koenigslutter.de    Friends in the UK need to click "translate."  

The photo below shows the organ loft in the Kaiser Dom where  Etienne Walhain, the organist of Tournai Cathedral in Belgium sat and performed the wonderful sounds.  www.cathedraledetournai.be    See Wikipedia too.

The lowest photo shows a view of the candle lit high altar at Koenigslutter and the grave of Kaiser Lothar 111.  Once again Wikipedia has detailed information about this amazing, highly decorated building.  Ahhh, I was in paradise again last night.  On the way back to Timmerlah we stopped at a Gasthof in the St Magniviertal of Braunschweig and Monika, Ralph and I enjoyed a good pint of German beer and a chat,  it was a lovely evening.

View of the High Altar.



No comments:

Post a Comment