Powered By Blogger

Saturday 30 July 2011

Haydn's "Nelson Mass" and English Daffodils for Henry.

I've launched into  long distance choir practising, as when I return to Devizes on Oct 7th, four days later on the 11th  I start singing again with Devizes Chamber Choir. www.devizeschamberchoir.org.uk  We have a new conductor, an American lady who is, I am reliably informed, a very good musician.  We will be singing our usual Christmas programme of Choir solos and Carols for the congregation. 

Today I bought a CD of Haydn's "Nelson Mass," as I start rehearsals of this work with the  "White Horse Opera Chorus" in late October.   www.whitehorseopera.co.uk    I'm playing the CD on repeat so that I can relearn the piece.   I last sang the Mass in West Sussex in 1979  with Steyning choir.   Just after Christmas rehearsals start with  "Marlborough College Choir." At Easter 2012 we are singing Handel's Messiah.  I'm look forward to a busy singing season.  

The daffodils in an English Country Churchyard are for my friend Henry from Hamburg who died last week.   It was he who introduced me to the German language way  back in the 1970's.  He adopted England as his homeland after coming to Scotland as a prisoner of war in 1945.  He met Monika his Swiss wife in England,  and with their two children, they made their home here.   We all enjoyed "German/Swiss Evenings" with cake, tea, beer and German.  I have them to thank for my life long interest in Germany and the German language.   Cheers/Prost Henry and Monika.

Daffodils in Lydiard Tregose Churchyard for Henry and Monika.

No comments:

Post a Comment