Powered By Blogger

Friday 8 July 2011

The Happy Wanderer.

 I got to wandering again today, the weather was comfortably warm and I took the camera to a part of the city I had never visited before.  The photo left shows the last remaining section of the city wall, built in the 13th century.  Henry the Lion established his capital in Braunschweig and gradually incorporated outlying areas into the city and surrounded them with a defensive wall.  Part of the wall has been used as the rear wall of a house, far left.  


The photos below show two more splendid buildings.  The first, the yellow coloured entrance hall of the old railway station.   It was built in 1843/45 and is all that remained after the bombing of the city in the last war.  The building is now the head office of a bank and stands beside the River Oker. 

The bottom photo shows the "Hanseatic House,"  Built in 1567 it was the first home of  "Wolters" the brewers, who brewed beer here for 400 years.  It is now  a large restaurant.   (Sorry about the lamp post in the middle of the photo.  The house is on a busy road and was difficult to photograph.)  

I had two lucky escapes today, one was seeing a really lovely, but expensive leather handbag, an absolute dream, but fortunately I'd left my cash cards at home.  Secondly some shoes to die for!!  Just the shape and colour I like, but I did talk myself out of buying those.   The handbag is still in my mind!
The entrance hall of the old railway station.

The Hanseatic House, once home of "Wolters" brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment