Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 July 2011

A Very Damp Monday and Egg and Chips.

Today was the third consecutive day of really dreary, cold weather, the worst since I arrived in May.  I went to the two English groups this morning and was really glad to get back home after lunch.  The flowers are here for a bit of cheer, I took the photo in early June and they are part of a display outside the Theatre.

 The photo below shows the  "Gewandhaus" the old Cloth Traders Hall in Braunschweig.  Its facade is in the style of the Flemish Renaissance and was added to a much older building in 1592.  A wine cellar was opened here in 1352.  It is a very splendid building and the ground floor is now a restaurant.

I had to go food shopping again today, and came home with a bag of chips, the first I have bought since I arrived.  Tonight I cooked a plate of egg and chips, delicious but without brown sauce, I don't seem to be able to buy it here.

Tomorrow I visit Helmstadt, Marienborn and the "Border Museum" on the site of a former DDR border crossing.  A section of the border fencing can still be seen.  More news and photographs tomorrow, which should be a sunnier and warmer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment