Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Marienborn Border Crossing near Helmstedt.

I had a really interesting day today, thankfully in warm sunny weather, the sun showed her face again  this afternoon after the three dismal days.  It was J & G's wedding anniversary, so we paid a visit to this old border crossing and museum and I bought the lunch.  It dawned on me mid afternoon, that I must have travelled through this checkpoint in my student days when I visited Moscow way back in 1963.  Nine of us drove from London by minibus, over the channel, through France and Holland and then across Germany to Berlin, and onto Warsaw, Minsk, Smolensk and Moscow.  I had been this way before but I have no recollection of the place, although  I do remember crossing  "Check Point Charlie" in Berlin.   The photo left shows a look-out tower and the two photos below a view of the border offices and check points.  I'll write more tomorrow and add more photos.   Wandering is very tiring and I need more tea and an early night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment