Powered By Blogger

Friday 15 July 2011

My Lovely Lion Bench is Back.

Lions are everywhere in Braunschweig and I wrote, with sorrow, a couple of weeks ago about the disappearance of my favourite lion seat outside Braunschweig Cathedral.  Well it is back, not quite in its same little alcove,  but just on the other side of the great portal.  How superior is my favourite lion, with his nose snootily in the air and with a great smerk on his face.  It is no wonder that children (and me) rub his nose everytime we sit near him.   I try to sit on this seat whenever I visit the Cathedral, and I get a little miffed with people who get there before me!

Below, with my seat in the background,  is a photo of a little bronze model of old Braunschweig, with the Domplatz in the centre, and the Lion Monument in the middle.  This too had disappeared for a time, and I thought metal thieves had been at work.  But no, the removal had been to allow for the building of easy access for the disabled into the Cathedral.   With the new ramp, it is all looking very smart once again.

I had a hot chocolate with Janet this afternoon in the "Graff" bookshop coffee shop.  It is nice to have a good chat in English sometimes after attempting to speak German all the time.   It is a wonderful bookshop, where you can hide, undisturbed in a corner, reading for days on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment