Powered By Blogger

Friday 1 July 2011

More Bach and the Thomaskirche.

At choir on Thursday evening we practised "Den Herren will ich loben",  I want to Praise My Lord" with music by Bach, photo left.   It is wonderful to sing in German with a German choir, who pronounce the words correctly!   I think this chorale comes from the "St Matthew Passion,"  although Bach had to write so much music for every service, that this theme runs through several of his chorales.  I love singing this music, it has a simple theme, but when sung in four parts the harmonies are lovely, and certain notes are sustained.   The photo below shows the interior of the Thomaskirche, a view of the high altar with Bach's tomb in the foreground.  The bottom photo shows the organ loft.  This is not the original organ Bach would have played, but I can imagine him sitting there playing and composing.  I wonder what he was like as a man?   I would like to have met him, and Mozart too.
High Altar with Bach's Tombstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment