Powered By Blogger

Monday 11 July 2011

Some (me) don't like it Hot!

Pottery finds at Fortress Regenstein.
I has become very warm again this week, it does make life uncomfortable, but I mustn't moan,  it could be overcast and drizzling.  I went to the two English groups this morning, where we discussed German and English idiomatic expressions.  Many are quite similar, and some well, really difficult to understand.  I have to iron my blouse this afternoon, (I hate ironing) as tonight I'm meeting friends in "Charly's" for a drink and a chat.

The photo, right, shows some of the pottery finds at Fortress Regenstein.  The large urn, ca 1600 with embossed decoration was lovely, and the blue shards below are from dishes made in Meissen near Dresden. 

Below are trout swimming in the fish farm at Kloster St Michael, all waiting to be caught and become somebody's dinner!   I had a trout salad there last Saturday which was delicious, especially with horseradish sauce.  We tucked into buttered toast too, all a real treat and washed down with a good German beer.  

This week I continue my search for the "Buehrig" family history for Mark in Florence, Oregon.  We cannot track down Hennig Buehrig, who was a workman in Timmerlah in ca. 1890.  Timmerlah Church has no record of him and this week I will visit the City Archive to try to find more information about him.  His birth must be recorded somewhere, the dates of his son's birth and marriage have been found, but Mark cannot go a generation back to Hennig's parents.  Wish me luck,  some of it is written in German Gothic script.
Trout swimming in the fish farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment