Powered By Blogger

Thursday 14 July 2011

Mrs Sherlock Holmes and Family History.

I came across this indolent lion today whilst wandering from the City Residents' Office (it was closed) back to the city centre.  Braunschweig was established by "Henry the Lion" in 1129-1195 and lion statues are much in evidence around the city.  Henry and his English wife Matilda are buried in the cathedral, were my favourite "pondering the meaning of life"    bench outside the main portal was supported by two lions.   (It is still missing.)

I returned to the city centre and visited the Archive, searching for information for Mark in Oregon about his family named Buehrig.   A very helpful young lady showed me the tome relating to the names and dates for which I am searching, but I had no luck.  She referred me to the Archive in Wolfenbuettel, which  Mark has already contacted in an online  search.   This certain Herr H Buehrig must have his birth registered somewhere in the locale.

The bottom photo shows the new bridge being built at Fellersleber Strasse Tore.  Work was started some years back but the original builder went bust, so all work stopped  and only now is it finally being finished.   I remember the site from last year when there was just piling on both sides of the River Oker.   It should have been finished last year but it provides a good place for watching men at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment