Powered By Blogger

Saturday 24 September 2011

Autumn Arrives with Beach Volleyball at the Railway Station.

Autumn has well and truly arrived, yesterday was the autumnal equinox.  Today I took a lovely stroll through one of Braunschweig's beautiful parks to look at the falling leaves and plunging conkers!   I was on my way back from the railway station, where today I cracked the secret of the automatic ticket machines.  I hadn't realised I could buy a ticket a few days in advance and that I could get a print out of the journey, complete with platform numbers.  I travel from BS to Hannover where I change trains, and it is very useful to know the platform number for the  short journey to the airport.   The total confusion at this station comes a close second to the total confusion at Berlin's multi levelled station.  Hannover Station is based on a shopping mall, so as you step down from the platforms, you are met by rows of shops, fast food outlets and hundreds of travellers milling around.   Knowing your platform is a great advantage in the hunt for the airport, "Forewarned is forearmed,"  as the the expression goes.  Is getting lost at a station a sign of creeping old age?
  
Two photos show the park in dappled sunlight, and the lower photo shows Beach Volleyball being played outside BS station.  Over the loud speaker I could hear, "Come on Hauptbahnhof"  so one of the teams was made up of main railway station personnel. (I assume.)   I managed to get the ball in shot in this photo.  I'm glad I haven't got to sweep up the sand!   How do they clear it up, with buckets and spades or a mega sized vacuum cleaner?


No comments:

Post a Comment