Powered By Blogger

Saturday 10 September 2011

Going Mad on the Computer and a Lovely Autumn Day in Braunschweig.

It was lovely in the city this afternoon, very busy, but  a lovely atmosphere with music playing and people sitting out in the squares eating and drinking. (What a pity we don't have more places like  this in Devizes.)  Near the cathedral was a street fair with a "Merry- go round" for children.  Everyone looked happy in the afternoon shade.  I'd spent this morning preparing my PP talk and selecting photos.   After three hours on the PC uploading pictures, writing captions and correcting my spelling,  I needed a break and also I had to go out for a loaf of bread and some fruit.   The shops are not open here on  Sundays, so I have to do a bit of forward planning for that day.

Below is a photo of the elevation of the K&A Canal from Bath to Newbury.   In order not to cause "Torture by Power Point" I am trying to introduce some diagrams into my talk.  I've started a crib sheet, with a few key points and dates to put the history of the canal in context.   I'll talk about the water supply, (or lack of) a subject I find most interesting.   John Rennie, the engineer,  built a long pound and summit level to collect water for the canal, with Crofton pumping station at the top, in the hope of keeping the summit well in water.

The canal constantly loses water down hill as boats descend the locks.  Rennie was not successful as, from time to time,  the canal suffered cronic water shortages and the barges grounded.   It was not until the 1990s that modern electric pumps were installed in order to constantly replace water at the summit, below the Caen Hill flight of 29 locks and at Claverton, just outside Bath.   The rivers of course, feed the canal at various locations.  I hope I can talk for England on Thursday 15th.   (I'm sure I can.)

No comments:

Post a Comment