Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 20 September 2011

A Wonderful Day in Goslar in the Harz.

The day could not have been better, a lovely warm, blue skyed autumnal day, and ideal for wandering around this lovely town of half timbered houses at the foot of the Harz Mountains.  It was an easy journey from Braunschwieg, a 50 minute ride on a regional train.  Janet and I wandered around and eventually found a nice place to eat and drink.  These photos show scenes in the town, about which, at the moment, I know nothing!  I shall read up tonight, and then I will need to visit again to see all the things I either saw and knew nothing about, or all the things I should have seen but didn't visit.  Then there's all the things I didn't visit because I didn't know they were there.  Then all the places I should have.....................  Have you lost the will to live??  There are captions under the photos, so you will know where you are. Please refer to: www.wikipedia.org  which has a good write up about the town. The old town of Goslar is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The town, of course, looks as the old Braunschweig would have looked before the last war.  Braunschweig was a city of closely packed half timbered buildings, 90% of which were destroyed by bombing in October 1944.  Some buildings did survive and are now incorporated into the city's "Traditional Historical Islands."
Market Place cafe.

Street scene with half timbered houses.

Old Town Hall.  (I think.)

The Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment