Powered By Blogger

Saturday 17 September 2011

Pictures at an Exhibition.

I took a tram ride to the station today (I do like travelling by tram) to check the fare to Goslar on Tuesday, when Janet and I pay the lovely little town a visit, it will cost us 20€ each return for a day's ticket.  The photo left shows the station's main entrance hall, which was really very busy, although I've managed to take a photo with only a pair of dismembered legs showing  below a display board.  The exhibition showed the winning pictures in the "Press Photograph of the Year" competition.   Nearby was a noticeboard carrying a warning,  that the photos were not suitable for viewing by young children. 

I am not surprised, the displays showed some of the  most disturbing photos I have ever seen, terrible, explicit scenes of trauma and death, and I found them difficult to read about and look at.  I don't think such an exhibition in a very public place could happen in the UK without mega complaints from the public. 

I later wandered into town via the old Cathedral cemetery where I found the burial place of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, a famous German philosopher and those of many other notable Braunschweig dignitories.   Further on, outside St Magni, a wedding party were enjoying a drink basking in the warm autumn sunlight, it has been a beautiful day.   I did a bit more present buying, and searched  for the nice pair of earrings I'd seen a few days ago but couldn't find them, I think they must all have been sold.  The photo below shows Lessing's tombstone in the cemetery, it was a cool oasis in a busy, hot city 

For some reason I cannot get the photo to stay in the centre. Sometimes the mechanics of blog writing will not cooperate with me, it doesn't like me changing the design about too much and digs in its heels!    I'm home in three weeks time, where have six months gone?!

No comments:

Post a Comment