Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 September 2011

Boules in the Magniviertal and a Falling of Conkers.

The day was very warm but cloudy, so thankfully,  it was not the predicted 28c it should have been.  I was glad, I do not like being out and about in the heat.  This morning I finally completed the PP talk, and by lunchtime needed a walk and some fresh air.  I walked  to Weserstrasse, caught the M3 tram into town and  wandered into the Magniviertal where  I sat and watched this game of Boules.  What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon, all so quiet and gentle.    Further on is a lovely  park at Loewenwall,  where a huge monument (like Cleopatra's Needle in London) stands in the centre and commemorates Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm.  Two pleasant fountains play each side of the momument. 

I found myself a comfy seat under a tree and began to read my book, "The Old Man and The Sea."   Suddenly I heard a clonk, then another clonk, and finally another clonk,  when a huge pod with conker landed in my lap!   I was sitting under a Chestnut tree in full fruit, and it was shedding its conkers as the wind blew through its branches.  I became aware that the whole park was lined with Chestnut trees, and there were conkers strewn everywhere across the grass and the gravel paths.   I like conkers, especially when newly persuaded out of their prickly pods.   The photos were taken on my phone, so are a little fuzzy.  I forgot to take my Lumix with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment