Powered By Blogger

Friday 23 September 2011

Facilities for Pigeon Showering in Braunschweig.

 onI thought the mini fountains outside  the Rathaus were for the amusement of over excited   children on  very hot summer days, but NO!  Their real purpose is to provide the local pigeons with showering facilities.   I was so surprised to see the birds lifting, flapping their wings and basking in the fine spray of water, it was a real joy to watch.  The lower photo shows  the communal  showering session at 2.30pm on Thursday afternoon.    Today I made my final visit to a friend for an afternoon of English conversation, and I now have that sad feeling of doing things for the last time this year.  I am somewhat melancholy at leaving but I will return again  in  late April 2012 to continue my battle with the German language.  My best conversations are with nice little old ladies sitting at bus stops.  They have never learnt English, so I can chat away in German and enjoy myself.  It is not so easy speaking German with good English speakers, I am much too aware of how little I know!  

I arrive home on Friday October 7th.  I land at Southampton Airport at 14.30 and the first things I will need are a plate of fish and chips and a  really big cup of English tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment