Powered By Blogger

Friday 9 September 2011

Leaving the Choir, I needed several hankies!

Last night I sang for the last time with my lovely choir, and I was so sorry to leave them.  They have all been wonderful, so friendly and welcoming and they made me feel at home right from my first visit in early May.  As an "Aufwiedersehen" they asked me what music  I'd like them to sing.   "Aennchen von Tharau, Little Ann from Tharau," was my answer.  I sat in front of the choir while they sang the lovely old German folk song, and of course, I was in floods of tears!  Luckily the ladies were armed with plenty of tissues, so I sobbed my way through the  four verses, some of which I know virtually by heart.  I shall be back to sing in May 2012,  so I've only six months to go before we are all together again.

The photo above shows the choir singing in Adenbuettel in May 2011, I have CDs of both our concerts.  I'm standing in the front row, the short lady fifth from the left.  The photo below was taken last night at my last practise.  Fortunately my red eyes are hidden behind my glasses.  The choir consists of about 30 members and sings mostly German folk songs and music by  Bach, Schubert and Brahms.  Singing with them in German has been one of the most interesting things I have ever done in my life.  At my first practise with them in May, I could not believe my good fortune, the sound of the German words was music to my ears.  Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment